New Text Message Service
The St. Louis Housing Authority is testing a new text message service for clients of the Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher Program. You may receive text messages from the St. Louis Housing Authority “slha”. You can opt out of receiving these messages by texting “STOP” at any time. If you have any questions or concerns please contact your client analyst here.
Housing Choice Voucher Program
The Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market.
Housing Choice Voucher Wait List
The St. Louis Housing Authority (SLHA) Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) waiting list is CLOSED.
The Online Portal is currently closed. If you have applied through the portal in 2014 and would like to confirm that your application has been received, please call (314) 286-4303.
Maintaining Your Status on the Waiting List
If you are added to the waiting list for the HCV program, you will be notified by mail when your name comes to the top of the waiting list or if we are updating our files. If you do not respond to our notifications, or your letter is returned from the post office, your name will be removed from the waiting list. If you have a change of address or change in preference status, you must notify SLHA within 10 business days of the change. For changes, complete the Change of Information Form and mail or deliver to SLHA at 3520 Page, Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63106.
How to Apply
When the wait list is open, interested applicants may apply through this site. Applying for a voucher through SLHA is always free.
- An applicant must qualify as an individual or family as defined by SLHA.
- The head of household must be at least 18 years of age at the time of admission or an emancipated minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, consistent with Missouri law.
- Family must have annual income at the time of admission that does not exceed the established income limits at the time of admission according to the maximum income by family size established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Applicant and all adult members of the family must pass a criminal background check.
- Applicant or any member of the family that has ever been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamine on the premises of any federally-assisted housing or any family household member that is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program will not be eligible for housing assistance.
- Applicant and all members of the family must provide documentation of social security numbers for all family members.
- Applicant and all members of the family must meet HUD requirements on citizenship or immigration status.
- Applicant or any member of the family who currently owes rent or other amounts to SLHA or any other housing authority will not be offered assistance until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
- An online web pre-application is not an offer of housing.
- All online web pre-applications are subject to SLHA’s review and approval.
- Once you have submitted a pre-application, it is your responsibility to inform SLHA of any changes of address, income, or household composition.
When the HCV Wait List is open, SLHA will assist persons with disabilities that require a reasonable accommodation, or have extenuating circumstances that prevent them from applying online. Click here for HCV Policies and Procedures ( 2.2 Reasonable Accommodations)
SLHA does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, ancestry, or sexual orientation in the access to, admission into, or employment in, housing programs or activities.