Instructions for Applying for a Housing Choice Voucher
The St. Louis Housing Authority (SLHA) Section 8/Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) waiting list is closed.
The HCV program is the federal government’s major program for assisting low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market.
When the wait list is open, interested applicants may apply through this site. This is a very quick and easy process! Waiting list information is secure and accessed only by authorized SLHA staff with special login codes. Please follow the detailed instructions below for applying to be on the SLHA’s HCV waiting list. If you need to request a reasonable accommodation due to a disability or need other help, you may contact SLHA for assistance.
Applying for a voucher through SLHA is always free. This site is available 24 hours a day. You may apply for a waiting list through any computer with Internet access. You may apply with a smart phone; however, it is recommended that you apply using a desktop or laptop with secure internet access.
Before you begin the pre-application please have the following information available:
- Full name
- Social Security Number/Cards
- Dates of Birth/Certificates
- Household Income
- Read the preliminary application carefully and complete it fully.
- Check all preferences that apply. Please read attached “Definition of Preferences” to determine which apply to you and check all that apply.
- All waiting list openings and closings are posted on this website and through advertisements in local newspapers. Also, telephone recordings give waiting list information.
- Be sure to enter information in every blank. Do not enter any symbols or punctuation (like $ or ,). Do not enter the head of household’s name in the household member name section. Each name should only be entered once. Only enter whole dollars for income (no cents).
- You must enter a valid date of birth and social security number when you apply online.
- After you have successfully applied, you will receive a confirmation page with a receipt number. Print this confirmation sheet for your records (or write down your receipt number). You will not receive a letter by mail to verify confirmation of your pre-application. Please do not call SLHA to check your status. SLHA is unable to give you a position number or estimated wait time to receive assistance. You will; however, receive a letter from SLHA when you are at the top of a waiting list and we are ready to determine your eligibility. It may take a few weeks, a few months or possibly a few years depending on available funding for vouchers.
- If you do not receive a confirmation number after you submit your pre-application, you must contact SLHA at (314) 286-4264 immediately. If your call is not answered, please leave a message that includes your name, phone number and issue.
- An applicant must qualify as an individual or family as defined by SLHA.
- The head of household must be at least 18 years of age at the time of admission or an emancipated minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, consistent with Missouri law.
- Family must have annual income at the time of admission that does not exceed the established income limits at the time of admission according to the maximum income by family size established by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- Applicant and all adult members of the family must pass a criminal background check.
- Applicant or any member of the family that has ever been convicted of manufacturing or producing methamphetamine on the premises of any federally-assisted housing or any family household member that is subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a state sex offender registration program will not be eligible for housing assistance.
- Applicant and all members of the family must provide documentation of social security numbers for all family members.
- Applicant and all members of the family must meet HUD requirements on citizenship or immigration status.
- Applicant or any member of the family who currently owes rent or other amounts to SLHA or any other housing authority will not be offered assistance until the outstanding balance is paid in full.
Notice to Applicants
- This online web pre-application is an Internet service provided by the St. Louis Housing Authority (SLHA).
- Pre-applications must be submitted online at www.slha.org.
- The online pre-application may be subject to data transmission errors that may make the application incomplete. SLHA is not responsible for these errors.
- The following browsers are supported on Windows: Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome.
- When funding is available, pre-applications will be selected based on preferences. Families will be placed on a preliminary list and pulled to establish a Wait List.
- Each household may only apply once.
- When there is a tie in preferences, pre-applications will be pulled in date and time order when establishing a Waiting List.
- By using this online web application, you agree to the general conditions below.
- An online web pre-application is not an offer of housing.
- All online web pre-applications are subject to SLHA’s review and approval.
- Pre-applications can be received online anytime during the wait list open period.
- Once you have submitted a pre-application, it is your responsibility to inform SLHA of any changes of address, income, or household composition.
- Applicants will receive a confirmation number to acknowledge successful transmission of the pre-application.
Maintaining Your Status on the Waiting List
If you are added to the waiting list for the HCV program, you will be notified by mail when your name comes to the top of the waiting list or if we are updating our files. If you do not respond to our notifications, or your letter is returned from the post office, your name will be removed from the waiting list. If you have a change of address or change in preference status, you must notify SLHA within 10 business days of the change. For changes, complete the Change of Information Form and mail or deliver to SLHA at 3520 Page, Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63106.
If you are a person with disabilities and require a reasonable accommodation, or have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from applying online, paper applications are available. Verification that an applicant qualifies for a reasonable accommodation must be attached to the paper application. Please note that a confirmation number will not be provided to applicants submitting a paper application, and the SLHA will not be responsible for postal delivery errors.
SLHA does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, ancestry, or sexual orientation in the access to, admission into, or employment in, housing programs or activities.